- Was the US obesity epidemic caused by an increase in calorie intake?
- Could it have been caused by an increase in carbohydrate intake, independent of the increase in calorie intake?
- Does an unrestricted high-carbohydrate diet lead to a higher calorie intake and body fatness than an unrestricted high-fat diet, or vice versa?
- Could the US government's advice to eat a low-fat diet have caused the obesity epidemic by causing a dietary shift toward carbohydrate?
However, those posts left a few loose ends that I'd like to tie up in this post. Here, I'll lay out my opinions on the relationship between macronutrient intake and obesity in more detail. I'll give my opinions on the following questions:
- What dietary macronutrient composition is the least likely to cause obesity over a lifetime?
- What dietary macronutrient composition is best for a person who is already overweight or obese?
- Is fat inherently fattening and/or unhealthy?
From the beginning